Saturday, September 27, 2014

#40 Camusclim (Pasta and Shrimp Casserole)

While this recipe wasn't touted as macaroni and cheese that is essentially what it was as the elements were all there. I am going to call this my Brazilian Macaroni and Cheese because ever since the World Cup in Brazil this year I am loving all things Brazil especially the National Team.

I heart Brasil - any excuse to post this picture.
Okay, so back to the pasta.  One difference is that the cheese wasn't melted in the b├ęchamel but layered.  This left the pasta creamy but with layers of gooey, melted cheese which I loved.  I had to make a few substitutions because I couldn't find all of the ingredients.  I left out Brazilian pickled chiles and annatto seed and subbed an Anaheim pepper for the Italian frying pepper.  I used regular instead of Thai basil.  It still turned out great but one day I'd like to try this exactly as listed.

the components sans cheese

out of the oven - one of the best ever!

I can't wait to make this again.  A big hit with everyone!
The recipe was from Saveur and is found here.


No comments: